Cow’s urine, glitter and nanogels. In this episode, Isabelle Imbert welcomes Amelie Couvrat-Desvergnes, independent conservator of Islamic and Indian manuscripts and paintings, to discuss the progress of paper preservation techniques, the most difficult types of paper to conserve, and the do and don’t of at-home conservation.
The episode is available below and on Spotify, Amazon Music, Apple Podcast and many other platforms. Don’t forget to subscribe!
Mentioned in the Episode and Further Links
- Follow the Art Informant on Instagram
- Follow Amelie Couvrat-Desvergnes on Instagram and check her website, amelieconservation.com
- Amelie latest paper: “Cut-Out Calligraphy from the Fifteenth and Sixteenth Centuries: Discussion of Its Origins and Significance and Observations on the Techniques and Tools Used”, Journal of Material Cultures in the Muslim World
- Association of Conservators (non-exhaustive):
- Suppliers of conservation material:
- To learn further about Nanogels, check the project Nanorestart below:
- Rita Udina gave a summary of the concept on her website: https://ritaudina.com/en/2018/06/20/gels-microemulsions-nano-systems-paper-conservation-tape-removal/