In this episode, Isabelle Imbert welcomes Dr Esra Alhamal, doctor in design and visual artist specialised in Islamic illumination. Esra has been researching and creating biomorphic patterns for many years, as well as teaching the art of illumination in London and creating her own paint with natural pigment from a Medieval recipe. In the episode, we talk about her artistic practice, as well as her research on Safavid biomorphic pattern in architectural ceramic. She is also a fellow host of the Art Illuminated podcast, in which she interviews artists and makers working with traditional techniques.
Mentioned in the Episode and Further Links
- Follow the Art Informant on Instagram and Twitter
- Follow Esra on Instagram and LinkedIn
- Read Esra’s doctoral dissertation from the University of East London (open access)
- Follow the Art Illuminated podcast on Instagram
- Website of Art Illuminated, home of the podcast and illumination courses
- Bristle and Brush, natural paint shop
- Website of Farkhondeh Ahmadzadeh, Esra’s teacher
- Follow Ayten Tiryaki, calligraphy and illumination master, on Instagram
- Click here for more episodes of the ART Informant.