In the 8th episode of the ART Informant, Isabelle Imbert welcomes Nuria Garcia Masip, professional calligrapher specialised in classical Ottoman Turkish scripts, in particular thuluth and naskh. Nuria has been trained by the greatest living calligraphers in Washington and Istanbul, and has been sharing her art and incredible artistry since she got her icajet (ijaza), the official calligrapher diploma, in 2007. In the episode, she discusses her learning journey, her current work and what it is to be a calligrapher today.
If you’ve liked this episode and want to support the initiative, please consider donating
Mentioned in the Episode and Further Links
- Follow the Art Informant on Instagram and Twitter
- Follow Nuria Garcia Masip on Instagram and visit her website
- Visit Muhammad Zakarya’s website to learn more about his work (Nuria’s first teacher in Washington)
- More information on Davut Bektaş and his work (Nuria’s second teacher in Istanbul)
- More information on Hasan Çelebi and his work (Nuria’s third teacher in Istanbul)
- Follow Hamidi Bel’aid on Instagram (Nuria’s teacher of maghribi script)
- Follow Pablo Khalid Casado on Instagram and visit his website (Nuria gave him the icazet)
- Follow Bahman Panahi on Instagram and visit his website (Iranian calligrapher and Nuria’s husband)
- Click here for more episodes of the ART Informant.